Monday, November 1, 2010

Changing Gears

I wanted to share something with you today that I read this morning in WALKING ON ALLIGATORS. I seem to keep finding such inspiration in this book! In today's exerpt, Anne Tyler was discussing the partitions around her writing persona and ordinary life. It made me realize how important it is to recognize the separate, yet intertwined, lives we lead as writers. Focus and concentration are necessary in our writing but also necessary in our day-to-day lives in many ways.

The discussion in today's reading spoke about "the ability to change gears from ordinary life to writing" being "priceless to writers." How true this is...it is so much easier to focus on the daily chores and requirements demanding our attention after fulfilling our duties as a writer. The following words really brought this home for me...

"Today, I'll tune out my regular life and write for the period of time I have available. Then I'll tune in again."

I'm going to find a "switch" that allows me to move back and forth between these worlds to allow the greatest degree of concentration possible in any given arena. How do you make this work for you? I'd love to hear your strategies if you care to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment