Thursday, May 25, 2023

Am I, or Am I Not, a Creative Being?

I've never considered myself a creative being, quite the opposite in fact. I can't draw to save my life. Not even a decent stick person. I can't sing. I can't paint. I can't decorate or choose furnishings very well. But, I do love to write. Writing is my main creative outlet; however, even in that, I never felt particularly creative. I hear lines in my head and love the language, but I often struggle to build a story around the line/lines I hear and craft. Snippets of lines and starts of stories clutter my folders and desk until such time as something starts to stick and builds into a full and complete story.

I long ago gave up analyzing how creative, or not creative, I am and just work to do my best work each day. Yesterday, I picked up BIG MAGIC by Elizabeth Gilbert and reviewed areas I had highlighted in times past. One such area that really hit home was as follows:

"A creative life is an amplified life. It's a bigger life, a happier life, an expanded life, and a hell of a lot more interesting life. Living in this manner--continually and stubbornly bringing forth the jewels that are hidden within you--is a fine art, in and of itself...Because creative living is where Big Magic will always abide."


Wow! I love the idea of living an amplified life, a happy life. And an interesting life. Who doesn't? I had just never considered how "creativity" factored into this life of mine. I do know that writing brings me much happiness and certainly broadens my horizons and, therefore, expands my life. So, in essence, then, I am living a creative life even if I'm not the most creative person, so to speak. I will keep working and trying to create good stories and striving to not let fear dictate my thoughts or prevent my progress. 

For, in Gilbert's words, "when courage dies, creativity dies with it."

Let's keep creating, shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment