Thursday, January 21, 2021

Words

Continuing on with the idea of words and the importance they can carry in this world, I read a chapter today and the words were profound. 

I loved Elizabeth Gilbert's EAT, PRAY, LOVE and purchased BIG MAGIC based on all the positive comments I read about it, particularly from a writer perspective. It has been some time since I started it, and I haven't gotten very far. I picked it up today to read a bit as I seem to be struggling on the creativity front as of late. 


 

I am participating in Tara Lazar's StoryStorm this January (30 ideas in 30 days) and have been rock solid at coming up with daily ideas and/or titles but have struggled to really put pen to paper and create anything that would constitute a new rough, even shiXXy, draft. So, in my effort to incite some level of creativity and something new to think and write about, I picked up a few different books to read a some chapters. One in BIG MAGIC spoke to me.

The section was titled Creative Living, Defined. The title alone drew me as, clearly, I am in need of some creative living. It discussed having the "courage to bring forth the treasures that are hidden within you," (hmmm...that is HARD. How does one REALLY get courageous enough to do so?). I am working on it, but it is often easier to stay the course on the safe path and not really push myself for more.

Gilbert says, "The universe buries strange jewels deep within us all, and then stands back to see if we can find them. The hunt to uncover those jewels--that's creative living." Gilbert also suggests, "The often surprising results of that hunt--that's what I call Big Magic." 

Wow!! I am now even more excited to read this book and see what treasures it brings. I am also newly focused on digging deep and exploring the treasures within to see where they lead.

I would love to hear how you uncover your special jewels and translate them into your writing should you be willing to share.


2 comments:

  1. Go girl. You can do it. As for my "Special Jewels," I'll have to think about that. May need to search a little. Anyhow,have a great productive week.

    ReplyDelete