Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Live Your Dream


Do you ever feel like you wake each day with the intention of accomplishing a certain task or set of tasks, write a given number of words/pages or read a certain book only to go to bed with all or most yet undone? Lately, it seems my days are cycles of me setting goals and then moving them to the next day yet unfinished. Granted, we are in the throes of summer life and basketball chaos, and I have managed to do what I can when out and about. I'm just not grabbing the bigger blocks of time necessary to really dig into the edits and bigger tasks in my pile which has been frustrating (frustrated mama makes for crabby mama according to my kids!).

Today I came across the above, and it really spoke to me. It's like the old adage...if at first you don't succeed, try and try again. My parents used to say this all the time when I was younger, and it certainly applies to writing as well as anything in life.

So, my new goal is going to be to recognize the frustration when fewer tasks are completed but take a deep breath and use it to try again the next day. Rather than getting caught up in the "not done" things in my day, I'm going to focus on the reasons I didn't accomplish them (all good fun, kid-related and family things) and take from those experiences what I can to generate new stories. That is the one positive...I'm finding a ton of new story ideas in my day-to-day activities, so perhaps that is just my stage right now. And I'm too darn tired to get up any earlier or stay up any later, so my idea notebook will be bulging and I will tackle the rest...another day. Because, after all, there is no expiration date on writing.


2 comments:

  1. Oh, yes. I hear you. Every day I have to say I'll do this tomorrow because I ran out of time or energy to do it today. What I've finally decided is keeping me from finishing all my goals each day is that I'm trying to do too much. I understand having all these ideas that just can't wait. Do them now, right? So, lately, I'm cutting back, choosing only one or two goals and hope I accomplish more than I have been. I like the quote "there is no expiration date on writing." Good to remember. Happy writing to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree, Beverly! I am trying to do the same and have been thinking about determining what is reaasonable and unreasonable to accomplish in a day. Glad to know it isn't just me!

      Delete