Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Waiting...

Well, submit I did and now I wait!  While it is hard to know the next part of the process is out of one's hands, there is also a comfort in knowing I've worked hard, created what I hope is a publishable manuscript and am now in the position to move on to the next WIP (until such time as edits are needed, that is).  Which brings me to my question...

To pull out, dust off and tackle something I've already started or start from scratch on something new?  I've had many flashes of scenes, characters and ideas recently that are beginning to form a possible (probable) new manuscript but am not sure the idea is yet fully formed and ready to tackle.  How do you handle those flashes of inspiration and nuggets of idea?  Do you wait until you have a fully formed idea from which to work or do you flesh out ideas as they come and see where it may lead?  I would love to hear what works for you in terms of that exciting new seedling which (hopefully) grows into a new life and story of its own.

At this point, my ideas are like these flashes of color every once in a while, puzzle pieces straggling in that I hope will come together in the mosaic I foresee but am not yet sure if I am "seeing" one manuscript or many.  I've, thus far, only completed picture books and not chapter books so think I need to start with an outline as these ideas and visions come to see where I am with what I have thus far.  Perhaps that will clarify the direction in which I am moving.  I am excited for the challenge ahead and welcome any advice from those of you who are veteran authors in the chapter book and young adult genres.


No comments:

Post a Comment