Friday, January 17, 2014

Inner Critic

This morning, I was reading a chapter of UNLEASH THE WRITER WITHIN: THE ESSENTIAL WRITERS' COMPANION by Cecil Murphey.  It was a chapter about whether one should listen to or silence the critic within.  Murphey talks about his reasons and experiences with both listening and shushing his inner critic and, in the end, decides, "my inner critic can be my friend, so I honor and trust that voice."

Lately, my inner critic needs to virtually scream in my ear as I seem to be doing a remarkable job tuning her out in the day-to-day chaos of life.  Or, perhaps, she is working very silently and effectively and this is why I've allowed the daily details to reign supreme and take precedence over my writing as of late.

Either way, it is time to get back on track.  I do believe my inner critic can be helpful in terms of spurring me into action (when I so allow) and nudging me toward what works and doesn't work in a given WIP; however, I also allow her to plant the seed of fear...fear something isn't good enough, won't find a home, isn't worth the time spent away from family and the daily grind...all of which makes it easier to not write and submit.  For, if nothing is completed, nothing can be submitted and, thereby, nothing can be rejected.  But, it is only in taking the risks that one can reap the rewards, so persevere I will.  I hope you will too!

If you have thoughts or methods that work for you in silencing or embracing your inner critic, I'd love to hear them if you are willing to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment