Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Finding the Magic

 
Do you ever think of those special seeds of ideas which seem to pop out of nowhere as magic dust?  Seems silly, but I often have these random ideas that float in from out of the blue and start working "magic" in my brain--or try to when I give them the time to germinate and do so. 

Today, I was reading a few chapters in Chicken Soup for the Soul: Inspiration for Writers.  One of the chapters started with a quote by William Bernbach which stated, "an idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it." 

So true, so true; however, I would argue persistence and perseverance are also at play in the development of "magic" in our writing.  Don't get me wrong...one must certainly have talent.  However, all the talent in the world won't necessarily help if one isn't persistent in one's perseverance to write and create the stories which others find "magical."

As was also stated in this chapter, "magic seeks a willing heart."  The chapter (The Magic Wand: Making Time to Write) was written by Harriet Cooper though it appeared this quote was attributable to someone else though was unclear whom.  

This quote spoke to me on many levels.  As a writer, one must be able to be strong of mind and persistent in pursuing this writing path in the face of all the daily stressors and detractors...one's heart must be open to the ideas which come, to letting those ideas fester and grow into the words, sentences and stories we create to provide the "magic" for both the writer AND the reader.  It is this reader's magic that initially made me want to be a writer.  I loved (and still do love) nothing more than to get lost in the pages of a story, to become someone else and live in that character's magic for just a little while.  It is this that drives me to create my own "magic" for someone out there, my readers, to want to get lost in the pages of my stories. 

Having said that, it certainly does take a willing heart (and committed and determined mind) to clear the chaos of life, even for just a little while and to be willing to utilize all those little moments of time and see and use the ideas to create the magic for both writer and reader alike.

If you are so inclined, I would love to hear how you turn ideas into magic for your reader.

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Karin! I tend to feel too overwhelmed to begin working on a new idea, but I CAN and do write short pieces, including poetry. My breakthrough thought was to simply approach a larger project as if it were several poems. I can do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking in terms of manageable pieces is a great idea, Jane! Certainly helps the overwhelming feelings. Good luck with your writing and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you just love it when those ideas float in "out of the blue?" When that happens for me I usually jot down ideas and sometimes start writing. That's why I have so many stories started. :) I finally have to decide which one to work on, sometimes two or three at a time.
    A very thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beverly:) I do love when that happens...though it seems to either rain ideas or be a drought...no happy medium. Such is life! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete